Friday, June 29, 2007

Skype

I already had a Skype account set up so used it to add a button on my blog. I have used it to chat with Angela at home and at work while I have been here in Canada. Trouble is I think faster than I type.
I was looking at Sandi's Library 2.0 blog today (she is so on to it!) and noticed a new button so clicked on it and found myself talking to her. It was a nice surprise to hear her voice and I didn't need to pay or type anything!

The idea that I can talk to the wonderful Canadian friends I have made here through Skype makes me feel a little (only a little) better about leaving today.
It has been a truely rewarding experience both personally and professionally. From my first week I was welcomed and accepted into the information services team and made to feel a part of the wider library staff.

I've discovered that I have the ability to transfer my skills to a new environment. The test and challenge will be applying all I have learnt from the staff at Buchanan Library to my work in NZ. All the wonderful places Craig and I have visited since we have been here come second to the memories we take home with us of the overwhelmingly generous and caring nature of all the Canadian people we came in contact with. It's hard to leave here.

No comments: